The following resources for teachers are available from the Animal Aid Education Department. Most are free. The rest are priced to cover postage, or production costs only.
To order your education resources, simply use the order form.
Alternatively you can order by:
- Phone: 01732 364546 ext 221
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Animals' War
These lessons make use of a wide range of sources such as photographs, letters, historical documents and personal accounts. Many of these are sourced courtesy of the collections of the Imperial War Museum.
- Lesson 1(A): The role of animals in WWI
- Lesson 1(B): The role of animals in WWI
- Lesson 2: What was the war like for horses during WWI?
- Lesson 3: How significant was the role played by animals during WWI
- Lesson 4: The changing role of horses in WWI
- Lesson 5: Animals and poisonous gas in WWI
- Lesson 6: Canaries and tunnels in WWI
- Lesson 7: Getting the message through
- Lesson 8: Heroes or victims?
These lessons are based on extracts from the following books:
- KS3: War Horse by Michael Morpurgo
- KS4: All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
- KS5: Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
- Lesson 1: Animals in WWI
- Lesson 2: War horses (using extract from War Horse by Michael Morpurgo)
- Download the KS3 Framework objectives (pdf)
Badger Bother Activity
To cull or not to cull? You decide
Pack containing all the instructions, briefing notes, factsheets and worksheets required to run a balanced X-Factor-style role-play debate on the badger cull issue.
Suitable for KS4 and KS5. Easily adaptable for KS3.
Ideal for English, RE, citizenship, science, politics and general studies
Animal Writes English Resource
Key Stage 3 resource, primarily aimed at Year 9
Written by Teachit for Animal Aid, this pack includes a resource booklet with 9 balanced work units containing teachers’ notes and photocopiable student worksheets, plus a copy of the Their Future in Your Hands DVD and a large colour poetry poster. IWB resources for use on SMART boards are also available.
Eat This! Student Activities
Suitable for KS4
Written to accompany the Eat This! video. Contains 11 balanced work units or lessons with teachers’ notes and photocopiable student worksheets. Covers KS4 National Curriculum targets in Citizenship and English and is also suitable for use in PSHE, Religious Education, General Studies and Media Studies.
Wasted Lives Student Activities
Suitable for KS4
Contains 5 balanced work units or lessons with teachers’ notes and photocopiable student worksheets. Covers KS4 National Curriculum targets in Citizenship, English and Science, and is also suitable for use in PSHE, Religious Education, General Studies and Media Studies.