- 1 onion
- 200g tin tomatoes
- 2 tbsp currants
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch cloves
- fresh parsley
- 30g pine nuts
- 4 smallish aubergines
- ½ clove garlic
- 1 bayleaf
- squeeze lemon juice
- raw cane sugar
- olive oil
- 70ml water
- black pepper
- Chop the onion and sauté till soft in 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add the tin of tomatoes to the onion, chopping the tomatoes roughly.
- Stir in currants, a pinch of cinnamon, a pinch of cloves and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes till thickened then add 2 tablespoons (or more!) fresh chopped parsley and all the pine nuts.
- Take the aubergines - rinse and cut slits in them.
- Stuff the cooked mixture into the slits in the aubergines and place them in a shallow oven dish.
- Mix 70ml water with 70ml olive oil, the garlic (peeled and crushed), bayleaf, lemon juice and a pinch of sugar.
- Pour this mixture over the aubergines, cover with foil and bake at Gas Mark 4 for 30 minutes.
- Serve chilled, garnished with lots more parsley.
Send this page to a friend