- 250 g soya chunks (plain or flavoured) - put in a large bowl and cover with plenty of water, allow to soak for at least one hour
- 2 large onions - sliced
- 6 carrots - cubed (or mushrooms, aubergines or red peppers)
- 6 celery sticks - sliced
- 2 tins tomatoes or two tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 or 4 sherry glasses of good dry sherry
- 1 flat tablespoon Marmite, or 1-2 veggie stock cubes
- 2-3 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 chillies
- a dash of soya sauce and Clearspring Umeboshi plum puree or sauce (never use much plum sauce as it is very tasty but very salty)
- 3-4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- Saute (fry gently) onions, carrots, celery and garlic for about 15 minutes in the oil.
- Add the sherry and cook for a few minutes to 'burn' off the alcohol.
- Add the tinned tomatoes or tomato puree, Marmite or stock cubes and add the chillies and plum sauce.
- Add soya chunks and sufficient water to cover the stew.
- Simmer on stove for approximately one hour.
Send this page to a friend