VEGGIE & VEGAN
- 320g (12oz) risotto rice
- 2 veggie stock cubes dissolved in 1 litre (1 & 3/4 pts) water
- 2 onions - finely chopped
- 3 sticks celery - finely chopped, or 3 carrots - grated
- 250g (8oz) frozen peas
- 1 glass of white wine (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic - peeled and crushed
- 125g (4oz) fresh asparagus tips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Handful fresh basil leaves rolled up and chopped
- Wash asparagus tips. Bring stock water to the boil and cook the asparagus in it for about 3-4 minutes, then remove and set aside. Keep stock on low heat.
- In a large frying pan or saucepan heat oil and cook the garlic, onion and celery or carrots for a minute or two, add the risotto rice and stir this into the vegetable and oil mixture so that it is well coated. Add wine if using and allow to sizzle, turning mixture constantly.
- Now start adding the hot stock into the rice mixture a ladle-full at a time and stir well. When this stock has been absorbed add the next ladle-full. Carry on until all stock is used up and rice is cooked. Should take approx 20-25 minutes.
- Five minutes before the end, add the peas and asparagus and allow to warm through. Take off heat, fold in basil and season with freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Makes a sophisticated, Saturday night dinner party main course, followed by Asian summer pudding.