Boozy vegan ice-cream
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 900ml (1½pts) soya milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 50g (2oz) margarine
- 125g (4oz) dark chocolate, chopped
- 125g (4oz) tinned or glacé cherries in syrup
- 50g (2oz) whole mixed peel, chopped
- 50g (2oz) raisins or sultanas
- 4 tbsp rum or brandy
- 25g (1oz) flaked almonds
- Put cornflour into bowl and blend to a paste with a little of the milk. Put rest of the milk into saucepan with the vanilla, sugar, margarine and chocolate. Heat gently to boiling point, then pour over the paste and mix until combined. Return mixture to the saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring. Remove from heat, cover and leave until cool.
- Remove vanilla pod, wash and dry it - it can be used many times. Liquidise the mixture. Pour into container and freeze until it is solid around the edges. Whisk and return to freezer.
- Repeat this process, this time whisking in the fruits, rum or brandy and almonds. Return to freezer and leave until solid.
- Before serving, allow the ice cream to soften at room temperature.
Send this page to a friend